In part 1 of this post, we began to consider simple secrets to improving your prayer life. Do you know that many people have challenges with being very effective in prayer? This challenge is not just exclusive to those who are new in the faith, as even those you may consider as very spiritual like pastors and church leaders may face the same situation. This is why we began to look into simple secrets that could make you more effective in the place of prayer.
If you would remember, in the last edition, we talked about the Secret of Maximization. In this post however, we would be going further to discuss more secrets that can help improve your prayer life.
THE SECRET OF SPEAKING IN TONGUES:
An important way to improve your prayer life is to pray in the Holy Ghost. Although in many quarters, praying in tongues is still a controversial topic, as many continue to ask: must I speak in tongues?
Must I Speak in Tongues?
Well, let’s consider what the Bible clearly says regarding this subject matter.
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; – Mark 16:17
1. Speaking in Tongues is a Sign: A signpost is not the place, however, it helps you identify the place. In the same way, speaking in tongues is not salvation, but it is a good way to identify one who has accepted Jesus and gone ahead to receive His Spirit, meaning that after salvation, it is important for a believer to receive the Holy Spirit and speak in other tongues.
He said unto them, have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. – Acts 19:2
2. Speaking in Tongues is an Upgrade: You can see from the above scripture that after they believed in Jesus, Paul expected the brethren in Ephesus to receive the Holy Ghost.
When you believe in Christ, there is a level of victory you begin to experience, but when you receive the Holy Spirit and begin to speak in tongues, you begin to access deeper realms in prayer.
But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. – Acts 1:8
Yet, some may argue that I have received the Holy Spirit, but I do not need to speak in tongues.
3. Speaking in Tongues is an outward manifestation of an inward experience: How else do we know that someone has truly received the Holy Spirit without the outward manifestation of what he has experienced inwardly, which is praying in tongues?
And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. – Acts 19:6
So it is clear that receiving the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues is the will of God for us as believers in Christ Jesus today.
Benefits of Speaking in Tongues
We will now consider some specific benefits of praying in tongues:
Speaking in Tongues makes prayer easier: Many times, what hinders people in prayer is where to start from. However, speaking in tongues can help us a lot in this regard.
”For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.” – 1Corinthians 14:14
When you pray in tongues, you spirit begins immediately though your mind is still looking for where to start.
2. Speaking in Tongues helps you pray about things beyond your mind: As you pray on the go as a busy person, praying in tongues will help you maintain communication with the Holy Ghost speaking to and from Him the will of God about every aspect of your life even what you may not know about.
“Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.” – Romans 8:26
This form of prayer also allows the Holy Spirit to cause us to pray about things that are crucial. For example, if as you are taking files from one office to another and your daughter is about to fall off the stairways in the crèche where you left her, you would not be aware of this and she also is too young to know the consequence of her next step. But as you are speaking in tongues as you move from one officer to another, the Spirit of God can pray through you, making heaven respond by sending an angel to reverse her step.
Many times when bad things happen, we ask the question, ‘Where was God’. To answer that question, it is important that we know that this world runs by human freewill, meaning that we have to invite the spirit realm before they have access to participate in this physical realm. This is what we do when we pray in tongues.
3. Speaking in Tongues helps you pray the will of God always: When we pray in tongues, we pray the will of God. You may not know what is best for you, but when you pray in tongues, you speak the will of God and ask for the right and the best things.
“And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.”– Romans 8:26
4. Speaking in Tongues Edifies you: To edify is to build up, to embolden in the right direction. This is exactly what you need and what you do when you speak in tongues.
”He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself;” – 1Corinthians 14:4
This is also one of the secrets of quick growth in your spiritual life, as speaking in tongues builds you up, giving you a greater capacity to know God and understand His ways.
“But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost.” – Jude 1:20
I believe you have been blessed, so do not waste time. Start speaking in tongues now.
In our next post in this series, we will considering the Secret of praying in a specific place.
Kindly drop your comment below and let us know how this post has blessed you and what actions you will begin to take based on what you have learnt now.